Thursday, September 4, 2008

Week 3 Readings/Notes

Machtelt Garrels. "Introduction to Linux: A Hands on Guide"
Linux is an operating system that is ideal for programmers, not myself, which is why I have never heard of it. Seems to be a stable and reliable platform used by the postal service and for movies like Titanic and Shrek.

Articles on Mac OS X
Another operating system used by Apple. It said it was a UNIX based operating system, which is what Linux started out as or is based from. I used a Mac at the school I subbed at and I thought I was using Microsoft applications. Obviously I am not computer smart on operating systems other then Windows, which leads to the final article.

Paul Thurott "An Update on the Windows Roadmap"
I can't keep up with technology, especailly on these operating systems. I use Windows and always have, I think it works great and have no other experience with anything else. It getting better with video and audio does not affect me, but I guess for this class I might be wrong. I am glad the security is better. Now they are working on Windows 7, what else can they add?

All in all...
These articles were almost like reading a foreign language. Accolades to those of you who understand hardware and operating systems!

2 comments:

Susan Barbish said...

I agree with you they were like reading a foreign language. If we are taking this class that should mean we do not know as much about computers as others. Due to this I feel the article should be things easier for us to read seeing as we are not all computer savvy.

Alison said...

I totally agree with what you said about Windows. Everytime I finally figure out the ins and outs of a system it is "updated" and I have to start all over again. I have to admit for a "general" user, like me, there are some really cool features about Vista that are very intuitive, making it that much easier to use.